kruizing with kikukat

Monday, September 3, 2012

Ultimate Salad and Dressing

Happy Labor Day!!!  I'm old enough to remember the time when the school year in Hawaii began AFTER Labor Day.  I miss those days.  Thats when Hawaii followed the same calendar as the rest of the nation and held summer time sacred.  I don't think we'll ever see those days.  How can Hawaii kids be college ready when the school system won't allow them to participate in summer pre-college programs.  This was the argument years ago when many Hawaii schools contemplated moving to a year-round calendar.  I guess people forgot the voice of reason, and I don't know of any university changing their calendars to enable Hawaii kids to participate without missing school. 

The work week went by pretty quickly.  I had two meetings with school personnel.  One of the meetings was out in Naalehu.  I ate a seafood salad sandwich at Punalu'u bakery prior to meeting with a scattered admin (thanks for the indigestion), but I did not go to Hana Hou for mac nut cream pie...next time.

I stayed out one day for funeral leave (farewell to Aunty Hisae "Stella" Nagano).  I was voluntold to make dessert for the post-funeral food table.  I made brownies (mom's contribution) and lemon bars (my contribution).  While I made the lemon bars from scratch, I used the Costco Ghirardelli brownie mix for the brownies.  I followed the directions on the box to make a bumboocha batch (half-sheet pan), thinking one pan would save me a lot of trouble.  Epic fail.  The brownies took over an hour to cut because I had to keep wiping the knife.  If there is a next time (brownie making, no need the funeral part), I will make the brownies in separate pans.  I still have 3 bags of brownie mix left (Costco size comes with 6 bags).

One thing on my "to-do" list for the week is to take D2 to Famous Footwear to buy some decent footwear.  In getting ready for Aunty's funeral, I realized she really only had rubber slippers.  We found a pair of Crocs sandals on the shoe rack, and she ended up wearing those to the funeral.  They were a little snug, but D2 was a good sport.  In spite of her crocs, she was not the most casually dressed person there.  UJohn showed up in sandals, polo shirt, shorts & suspenders!  ASandra's coworkers thought he was so cute.  The Help pointed out that, to UJohn's credit, he showed respect by wearing dark colors.  True dat.

I had a hard time deciding what recipe to feature this week, but a recent trip to Costco (same trip where I bought the brownie mix) helped me decide on this recipe.  I bought one of those trays of fancy artisan lettuce and wanted to make a dressing to showcase the lettuce.  Additionally, its been hot, hot, hot recently so we are still enjoying salad weather.

When I worked for the Office of Human Resources, we did a lot of collaboration with the nice mentors in Central District.  One of the ladies, Amy, cleaned house and gave me a whole bunch of cookbooks.  She told me her contribution to one of the cookbooks was a salad dressing recipe, which turned out to be Ultimate Salad Dressing.  Ultimate Salad Dressing is great on its own, but its even better when you throw together a kick-ass salad.


click on recipe title for printable recipe

     2 tbsp brown sugar, packed
     2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
     2 tbsp olive oil
     1 tbsp rice vinegar
     1 tsp salt
     pepper
     grated garlic

Combine dressing ingredients and mix well.  Drizzle over assorted salad greens and toppings (carrots, red onions, bell pepper, feta cheese, bacon bits, cranberries, croutons.

Look who was on the Hawaii News Now photo stream!


Apologies for the blog pics this week.  I took them myself with a point-and-shoot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment