kruizing with kikukat

Monday, April 9, 2012

Salt & Pepper Shrimp

I'd like to wish happy birthday to The Help today.  Its a milestone birthday, and I hope he buys whatever he wants.  I was going to get him a Canon 7D, but both Adorama and B & H Photo are closed for most of the month.  Oh well, I guess he'll just have to settle for the Rottweiler puppy.

The high point of my week was being invited to add my blog to petitchef.com, a foodie website based in France.  I'm glad I have three years of high school French and a year of college French under my belt.  I might be able to understand any comments en francais. 

Unfortunately, my week was littered with low points too.  The Rents' new printer crashed, and replacing it entailed multiple visits to OfficeMax.  I also had a situation where I NEEDED to take po chai pills (I'm sure you know what I'm talking about).  There were major issues at work too.   Why won't some people just admit fault and work towards resolution.  Why do we pussy-foot and tell people its a "win-win" situation?  Games have winners.  This is not a game.  I guess when you deal with people who think like adolescents (or preschoolers), it is perceived as a game.  Anyway, I should've guessed how the week was gonna go when we began the week at an all-day draining at Imiloa Astronomy Center.  Double ugghhh.  The information shared in the morning was interesting, however the presenters sucked.  I don't even think they knew a lot about education.  I got the impression they didn't prepare adequately.  But a day at Imiloa beats a day at the office, so it wasn't all that bad.  At least the toilet paper at Imiloa is in a dispenser.

The best part about Imiloa is the on-site restaurant.  They offer an all-you-can-eat-stuff-your-face buffet, complete with salad bar, a myriad of entrees, and a wide dessert selection.  Most people pile their plates with salt & pepper shrimp, and I can't say I blame them.  I love salt & pepper shrimp.

While Imiloa's salt & pepper shrimp is good, homemade salt & pepper shrimp totally rocks.  While some people get grossed out when they see the shrimp head, I like head-on shrimp because I like to suck on the head.    This happened to be local (Kauai) shrimp which I found at KTA.  Not all markets have it.  For salt & pepper shrimp, the shrimp should be no larger than 26/30. 

Cornstarch-dusted shrimp are deep fried until cooked.


Seasonings are added to the fried shrimp.



click on recipe title for printable recipe

     1 lb shrimp
     1/4 c cornstarch
     1 1/2 c oil
     2 stalks green onion, chopped
     1 clove garlic, minced
     1 chili pepper, minced
     1/2 tsp salt
     2 pinches 5-spice
     2 pinches sugar
     1 pinch white pepper
     1 tbsp rice wine

If using head-on shrimp, begin by tossing shrimp with cornstarch.  If using headless shrimp, prepare shrimp by slitting back to remove intestinal vein.  Slip shrimp out of shell but do not detach shell.  Toss shrimp with cornstarch and let stand 10 minutes.  Heat oil in a wok.  Fry shrimp until crisp (this will need to be done in batches).  When all shrimp are fried, drain oil from wok.  Return shrimp to work and add all ingredients except rice wine.  Toss.  Add rice wine.  Toss.  Remove from wok to serve.

Oh, and Easter, yeah, Easter.  I had lots of fun coloring eggs by myself.  I got to leave them in the dye for a long time, and I made all solid color eggs.  The Ds would've been so upset.

1 comment:

  1. I'd like to thank you for the tip on the headless shrimp. No other recipe mentions it but by pulling away the shell a bit, it was really crunchy and great!

    ReplyDelete